Every year the Derbyshire Cricket Foundation organises the annual fundraiser, the T20 Walkathon. A charitable event that involves participants walking from Trent Bridge, Nottingham to The Incora County Ground in Derby – a walk of approximately 20 miles all in aid of local charities. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve adapted this year’s walk to provide a safe and flexible solution to ensure that anyone who wants to take part can do so.
The new challenge for 2020 is for participants to walk a minimum of 20 miles during the week of 27th July – 2nd August! The challenge will encourage participants to walk a certain distance during each day of the week, with an aim of doing at least 20 miles across the 7 days. This way participants can walk wherever they like and in smaller groups or on their own (observing social distancing). There will be individual prizes awarded for those who walk the most miles during the week.
Alternatively, if the participants are up for a challenge, they could walk the entire 20 miles in one day, just like the usual T20 walkathon! For those that want to, this can be on a day of your choice during ‘Walkathon Week’. In addition to these two challenges there will be a ‘Combined Business Challenge’ for the business whose employees can clock up the most miles during the week.
In summary the challenges are as follows:
- Walk a minimum of 20 miles across the week – prizes for the furthest total distance
- Walk 20 miles on a day of your choice during the week
- Combined Business Challenge – prize for the business that clocks up most miles
- Matchday hospitality at a Derbyshire County Cricket Club game
- Signed Cricket Merchandise
- Tickets to a Derbyshire fixture
- 1-1 Coaching Session with Derbyshire Player
The aim of the week is to raise as much money as possible, and this year all funds will support the Derby & Burton Hospitals Charity and Derbyshire Cricket Foundation ‘Return to Cricket Fund’.
- The ‘Return to Cricket Fund’ is designed to support Cricket Clubs in Derbyshire and help ease the impact of COVID-19 on the grass roots game
- The Derby & Burton Hospitals Charity are Derbyshire County Cricket Club’s Official Charity Partner and are doing some great work on the frontline of the current pandemic. For mor information on the great work they are doing, click here: https://dbhc.org.uk/
Tim Diggle, Director of Derby & Burton Hospitals Charity said, “This is a fantastic initiative and we are always touched by the dedication of Derbyshire Cricket Foundation and everyone involved. It is inspiring to see!
“All of us have been touched by this pandemic in one way or another and to see DCF band together and encourage such activity is brilliant. We are so grateful to everyone who takes part and is able to help us support all the teams working hard at our hospitals. It means a great deal to us and our staff.”
These are great causes and two causes linked closely to the people of Derbyshire, in particular, people involved in cricket within the county.
All participants will be encouraged to share their progress and photo’s using #WalkathonWeek on social media, don’t forgot to tag the Derbyshire Cricket Foundation! DCF Trustees and staff members are due to take part, you will be able to follow their progress on the DCF social media channels. We would like to encourage as many as possible to take part and raise money for two great causes.
How do I sign up?
The link to sign up is here: http://booking.ecb.co.uk/d/qnqjj8
How do I donate?
You can donate by:
- Entering the Walkathon (£15)
- By donating on the Just Giving page here
For more information please contact Richard Wood, Email: Richard.email@example.com or Phone: 07841759315